One of Matt’s most favorite dinners is Philly Cheesesteak subs. But it’s way too expensive for me to make cheesesteak subs for this many people.
So I found and tweaked a recipe for Philly Cheese Chicken subs instead. These were absolutely DELICIOUS! The kids loved it, Matt was in heaven, and I’ve already been asked to make this again!
4 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup diced onion
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 jar (16oz) sliced mild pepper rings (reserve brine)
1 jar (16oz) sliced roasted bell pepper strips, drained
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup reserved brine
8 hoagie rolls
4 slices provolone cheese
1. Lay chicken breasts (I used frozen) in bottom of crockpot.
2. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and lemon pepper.
3. Pour onions, pepper rings, and bell pepper strips over top.
4. Add chicken broth and reserved brine on top.
5. Cover and cook on High for 5 hours.
6. Shred chicken and stir back into crockpot.
7. Continue cooking on High for 30 minutes.
8. Spoon mixture into hoagie rolls, top with sliced cheese, and broil for 3-4 minutes until cheese melts.