One thing my whole family agrees on is our love for Meatball Subs.
They are a favorite and I enjoy finding new ways to prepare them so we don’t get tired of them.
This is the second Meatball Sub Casserole I have tried. The first one included lots of cream cheese, which Maia has trouble digesting, so I needed a new recipe.
I found this one and tweaked it to fit our family’s tastes and so I could sneak in some extra veggies.
I’m really pleased with how it turned out and I’ll definitely be making it again!
Easy One-Dish Meatball Sub Casserole
- 1 can Pillsbury Grand biscuits
- 1 jar (24oz) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can Fire Roasted Spicy Black Pepper Diced Tomatoes
- 1 bag frozen meatballs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- Cut each uncooked biscuit into 8 pieces and put in bottom of greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Add jar of spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, and diced pepper and stir gently until biscuits are covered.
- Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes until biscuits are just starting to cook through.
- Top with frozen meatballs and shredded cheese.
- Return to oven and continue cooking for additional 30-40 minutes until biscuits are fully cooked through.
Look at all that deliciousness!
The cheese is perfectly melted, the meatballs are just the right amount of crisp, the biscuits are melt-in-your-mouth flaky, and the whole combo is just a party for your taste buds!
The key to this recipe is to pre-cook the biscuit chunks until they are just starting to cook through.
Otherwise, you end up with a gooey mess and rock hard overcooked meatballs. I learned this lesson the hard way.
The second time I made it I pre-cooked the biscuits with the spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, and diced peppers and it turned out fantastic! My kids ate every bite and raved about it.