One thing I know my kids will always eat is macaroni and cheese. I can add all kinds of things to it and they will not care. It’s an easy dinner on nights when I’m just worn out and it’s the perfect comfort food.
I can’t just serve macaroni and cheese from a box though, it has to be an adult version in order for Matt to eat it willingly. This version of baked macaroni and cheese is loaded with delicious seafood and 2 different types of cheese.
1 box (16oz) elbow macaroni
1 pkt Imitation Crab Meat, chopped
8 oz frozen shrimp, defrosted & diced
8 oz sour cream
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 can evaporated milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1. Cook and drain macaroni noodles & return to pan
2. Add sour cream & stir until combined.
3. Add shrimp and crab meat; mix well.
4. Melt butter in saucepan.
5. Add onions & saute until tender.
6. Sprinkle flour over onions & mix well; allow to cook for about 1 minute until beginning to brown.
7. Slowly add the evaporated milk, stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken.
8. Gradually add 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 1 cup of Pepper Jack cheese, stirring constantly until they melt.
9. Pour cheese mixture over macaroni and stir to combine.
10. Transfer macaroni mixture to a 13×9 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
11. Top with remaining 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
12. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Look at all the cheesy goodness! We never ever have leftovers when I make this for dinner. Sometimes I add breadcrumbs to the top for an extra bit of crunch or I broil it for 2-3 minutes on High after it cooks to crisp up the cheese on top. Either way, it’s delicious!