I love potato salad. Unfortunately I have digestive issues with anything made from egg and traditional potato salad tends to include mayo, which is made with egg. So I not only have to make my own from scratch, I have to be creative. I’ve made many many potato salads in the past but none of them were great. Then I found this recipe and originally it did include mayo but I tweaked it and re-worked it until I came up with the perfect combination. I recently made this for our annual 4th of July picnic and it was delicious! We had no leftovers at all, and this recipe made a TON!
5 lbs red potatoes
3 cups sour cream
1 lb bacon, cooked & crumbled
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp chives
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Lay red potatoes on rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
2. Roast at 425 for 25-30 minutes.
3. Allow to cool and then cut into pieces.
4. In large bowl, combine diced potatoes, sour cream, bacon, 1 cup of cheese, chives, salt and pepper. Toss to combine well.
5. Chill for at least 2 hours.
6. Before serving, sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
1. If you’re going to chill this overnight then reserve 1 cup of the sour cream and mix it in right before serving. Otherwise the potato salad is a little dry.
2. This is delicious same day but it’s even better the next day!
3. If you don’t like chives, substitute chopped green onion.
4. The bacon is best if it’s really crispy, almost burned. I was in a time crunch and used the Oscar Mayer ready to serve bacon. I cooked it in the microwave for twice as long as the directions and it was the perfect crispy crumbliness.
5. Crumbliness is totally a word, right?